The smart cities discourse needs to explore using technology as an augmenter not just as a replacement.
Expo Milano 2015 looks enticing with a deliciously challenging theme and focus in the smart city debate. A colleague shared the above video which offers an intriguing vision of the future event—here’s a few thoughts:
- how come everything was geared to the single user experience?
- where was the human / in-person connectivity?
- why was technology crafting a solitary experience of the city?
- how are they going to include consideration to opt-out regarding digital privacy for things like eye scans (which is now a UN mandate)?
- could they re-balance the use of technology which is currently geared to the consumption of information to also creative collaboration (more than just sending simple messages of where you are and playing a game)?
More a critique rather than criticism as the whole vision is fantastic.
What did you note from the video?